These things are seriously AMAZING. I don’t know about you but every time I have ever tried to make meatballs on the stove I have ruined them. I typically burn the outside and the inside is raw, or they fall apart or are just gross. PLUS, you really can’t make that many at the same time. It had never occurred to be to bake them. This recipe is a super easy baked meatball recipe that literally might change my eating life! OK, that’s dramatic but…. I figured this would be horrible and it turned out to be the easiest thing ever. Little mess, no half burnt/half raw balls of meat and it makes a ton. I ate these things for a week.
What you need:
2.5 lbs of lean ground turkey, beef or chicken (just use what you like, although the calorie count below would change)
1 (16oz) package frozen spinach (or whatever else you would want you could probably use kale too)
1 cup of onion (I used red)
¾ cup bread crumbs ( I used gluten free)
1 garlic clove
Sea salt and pepper – I used about a tsp. of each
2 tbsp. Worcestershire, or soy sauce, or A1, or BBQ (I used Worcestershire but all will work)
½ tsp. each of thyme, oregano, crushed red pepper
1/3 cup Chicken broth
1. Preheat the oven to 400.
2. Heat olive oil in the pan and add all spices and the onion. Sautee until the onions are tender
3. Add Worcestershire sauce, chicken broth, and spinach. Cook down until there is very little liquid left in the pan
4. Meanwhile, mix meat, bread crumbs and egg in a bowl
5. Add the spinach mixture to meat mixture and mix together
6. Using a ¼ c measuring cup section out the meat to ball and place on a greased pan. They don’t expand much so they can be pretty close. I had 20 on a pan. Ball out until mixture is gone
7. Place in the oven for 20 minutes
8. Voila! I served mine over quinoa and added marinara
My fitness pal nutrition facts (calories are per ball, based on 38 total made)
For a printable version of this recipe please click HERE.
**Advocare Note: If you make this recipe during your 10 day cleanse you’ll need to count that as your one carb for the day!!**